|May 17, 2013 |
The Wyoming Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction has been asked to write a report on the status of all schools in the state. As part of this report they are collecting input from educators, parents and the community. You thoughts and feedback are essential to this process and could be extremely helpful to the development of future educational policy. Please take a few minutes to respond.
Below are links to the three different surveys: Educator, Parent, and Community Member. Please fill out the survey(s) most applicable to you.
Parent Participation - Working Together
The district offers several forums to unite parents, schools, students and the community. These forums promote communication and joint problem solving as well as ensure academic success for all children.
|Parents and community wishing to become involved in school and/or district committees and groups are encouraged to contact individual schools or LCSD1 at 771-2100|
Other Opportunities for Involvement
- Open Houses—At the beginning of the school year, every school holds an open house for families and students. This provides parents with an excellent opportunity to meet school staff members and tour the facility. In addition, staff has an opportunity to communicate class and building goals, the academic program and school and classroom organization and management.
- Parent/Teacher Groups—Most schools have parent/teacher organizations/associations (PTO/PTA). Others have less formal groups that support specific extra curricular activities.
- Parents on Committees—Parents are invited to participate in the following committees: district parent advisory council, building collaborative decision-making team, district and building school improvement teams, district standards and curriculum committees (in each content area), district calendar, policy and building advisory teams, and the school and district steering, profile and action planning teams.
- Communication—Districtwide student/parent handbooks are provided to every elementary, junior and senior high family. The objective is to provide accurate and consistent information to all students, parents and guardians of students.
Each school has a newsletter and many of these publications are online. Although content varies, newsletters are a reliable source of information about activities/events, schedules, student and staff achievements and general school news.
(See Handbooks in the following links)
[Elementary] [Junior High] [Senior High]
- Newspaper—The districtwide newspaper—Public Schools’ Chronicle—is published five times a year and mailed to every home and business in the Cheyenne area. The publication provides community stakeholders a window into the classroom as it features student learning activities and events. In addition, it contains information on issues impacting parents and the community.
- Website— LCSD1’s website also continues to provide a wide variety of information including news & announcements, calendars, school and department updates, and more.
The district started a Facebook page during the fall of 2012. Stakeholders are encouraged to like the page to receive pertinent updates as they arise. The superintendent provides articles through his blog site, which can be accessed at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stakeholders are encouraged to follow on Twitter @thesupeson.