Parent Participation - Working Together
The district offers several forums to unite parents, schools, students and the community. These forums promote communication and joint problem solving as well as ensure academic success for all children.
|Parents and community members wishing to become involved in school and/or district committees and groups are encouraged to contact individual schools or LCSD1 at 771-2100|
|District Parent Advisory Committee—At least two parent representatives from each school are nominated. Committee members were involved in various issues and made significant recommendations and contributions to LCSD1.
Other Opportunities for Involvement
- Open Houses—At the beginning of the school year, every school holds an open house for families and students. This provides parents with an excellent opportunity to meet school staff members and tour the facility. In addition, staff has an opportunity to communicate class and building goals, the academic program and school and classroom organization and management.
- Parent/Teacher Groups—Most schools have parent/teacher organizations/associations (PTO/PTA). Others have less formal groups that support specific extra curricular activities.
- Parents on Committees—Parents are invited to participate in the following committees: district parent advisory council, building collaborative decision-making team, district and building school improvement teams, district standards and curriculum committees (in each content area), district calendar, policy and building advisory teams, and the school and district steering, profile and action planning teams.
- Communication—Districtwide student/parent handbooks are provided to every elementary, junior and senior high family. The objective is to provide accurate and consistent information to all students, parents and guardians of students.
Each school has a newsletter and many of these publications are online. Although content varies, newsletters are a reliable source of information about activities/events, schedules, student and staff achievements and general school news.
(See Handbooks in the following links)
[Elementary] [Junior High] [Senior High]
- Website— LCSD1’s website also continues to provide a wide variety of information including news & announcements, calendars, school and department updates, and more.
Since launching the district Facebook page during the fall of 2012, the number of stakeholders who like the page, thus receiving pertinent district updates, have increased to more than 2,500.
- Newspaper—The districtwide newspaper—Public Schools’ Chronicle—is published five times a year and mailed to every home and business in the Cheyenne area. The publication provides community stakeholders a window into the classroom as it features student learning activities and events. In addition, it contains information on issues impacting parents and the community.
- Annual Report Card—The district’s report to the Community provides updates from the 2012–2013 school year as well as information on strategic initiatives for 2013–2014.